With the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games providing a high-profile opportunity to promote the best of London to the world, innovision was appointed by the Greater London Authority (GLA) to deliver the City’s ‘Look and Feel’ in the form of the Iconic Spectaculars Programme.
The concept behind the Programme was to install the Olympic Rings and Paralympic Agitos in innovative and imaginative ways on the Capital’s most iconic landmarks; create an immersive programme of large-scale projections against an iconic building; and design and install interactive lighting and soundscapes on all central London bridges between Westminster Bridge and Tower Bridge.
For the GLA, this was a bold, exciting and ground-breaking vision to create epic, visually arresting imagery and highly engaging activations, which would capture the imagination of the nation and the world’s press.
At innovision, we love to break boundaries, which is exactly what we did in delivering the GLA’s Iconic Spectaculars Programme. Our response to the brief was as follows:-
- Olympic Rings and Paralympic Agitos installed onto the Grade I listed Tower Bridge;
- Olympic Rings built and installed onto a floating platform, which was then positioned at various points from Westminster Bridge to North Greenwich throughout the Olympic Games (referred to as ‘Rings on the River’);
- Paralympic Agitos installed onto the façade of the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square.
- Bespoke projections and son et lumière (sound & light) show on the Houses of Parliament – a world-first;
- Lighting installations and soundscapes on Hungerford Bridge, Waterloo Bridge, Blackfriars Bridge, Millennium Bridge, Southwark Bridge and London Bridge.
Needless to say, we delivered the whole Iconic Spectaculars Programme to perfection and much of the epic imagery we created was cascaded across the world and experienced by millions.